Sexy Hair Blog
3 Ways to Mermaid Waves
Want to achieve Mermaid-esque locks but have no idea where to start? We put together three helpful techniques to create the perfect Mermaid hair waves whether you're using a curling iron, blow dryer or no heat styling methods!
OPTION 1: CURLING IRON
1. To create a sexy mermaid style wave to your hair using a curling iron, start with dry or second day hair. This will help the waves stay in place longer.
2. Flip head over and spray a heat protectant like Style Sexy Hair 450 Protect all over. Avoid using a mousse or gel because this will remove the natural wave texture and make the final look appear too crunchy.
3. Part hair into two sections, top and back. Clip the top part of your hair and start creating curls in the back and work your way forward. With a 1 ¾ inch curling iron, wrap hair around the iron without opening the clamp; this will help achieve a looser wave instead of tight curls. Hold the iron in the hair for about 6 seconds before releasing.
4. Once curls are completed, finger comb and toss hair while spraying it lightly with a flexible hold hairspray like Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Touchable. Do not use a comb or a brush because this may undo the natural look of the wave pattern.
5. To add some extra flair to the look, gather the hair at the top into a small pompadour and decorate the crown of the head with flowers, jewels or any other mermaid-style accessories.
OPTION 2: BLOW DRYER
1. For naturally curly or wavy hair, you have it easy because your hair has a natural mermaid wave pattern. When hair is damp, apply styling mousse like Curly Sexy Hair Curl Reactivator or Big Sexy Hair Root Pump all over the hair. Since curly hair tends to be drier, use a heat protectant like Style Sexy Hair 450 Headset Heat Defense Setting Spray to prevent damage before blow-drying.
2. Next use a blow dryer with a diffuser attachment. Bend head over, scrunch sections of the hair and aim the blow dryer at the spaces between your fingers. Keep the blow dryer on cool as you gently go over each section of the hair.
3. Once the blow dry is complete, apply a light layerable hairspray like Big Sexy Hair Get Layered and tousle hair with your fingers.
OPTION 3: NO HEAT
1. Mermaid curls can also achieved by either twisting or braiding your hair while it’s damp. These methods work best to keep hair healthy and strong by eliminating any use of heat.
2. While hair is damp apply cream like Curly Sexy Hair Curling Creme from roots to ends of hair.
3. Divide hair into two sections and twist them tightly together. If hair is thicker you may need to divide it into three or four sections. Clip the hair up onto the top of head and allow it to air dry overnight or wait 4-6 hours during the day. It’s important to not take the twist out while the hair is still wet because a wave will not be achieved.
4. Once dry, undo the twist and run your fingers through the waves to give them body. For an even more ocean inspired look, use a texturizer like Healthy Sexy Hair Beach Spray .