Sexy Hair Blog
Taking Steps Against Cancer with Sexy Hair® by YouTube Vlogger Ashley Sander @alhsander
On August 22nd, I had the honor of being a part of an amazing event. Sexy Hair, my all-time favorite hair brand EVER, asked me to serve as a Special Correspondent for their Caring is Sexy Walk-a-Thon benefiting their philanthropic partner Look Better Feel Better, a nonprofit that helps those with cancer deal with the devastating appearance-related side effects of cancer treatment. I jumped at the opportunity because this cause is dear to my heart.
More than two decades ago, my grandfather was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Five years ago, my aunt was diagnosed with breast cancer. Thankfully, both are now in remission and in good health but everyone in my family were forever changed. That Thursday, I put on my sneaks and shades and joined more than 100 Sexy Hair employees in supporting those in their lives who have fought and won or lost their fight to cancer. Our matching red shirts; emblazoned with the names of those we were walking for that day including my aunty Daren Solidum, shined brightly under the light blue sky on a picture-perfect California day.
While many Sexy Hair employees ran the course, I stood clear out of their way and walked three miles within the allotted hour and a half. Some came back with loads and loads of bracelets! I remember thinking about how much I hated to run and how my lousy three miles looked in comparison to some of the others. But regardless, I knew that for every mile, Sexy Hair made a $10 donation to Look Good Feel Better and that every single mile counted.
The overall experience was amazing! I’ve never been a part of something like this before, and I am so proud and honored to say that I now have. Everyone at Sexy Hair was so passionate and it was rewarding to work with such a reputable company who gives back in this way.
For those who couldn’t be a part of such a great event, you have several ways you can help this amazing nonprofit.
Go to your nearest Sexy Hair salon or specialty beauty store and pick up a bottle of the specially marked “Pink” Sexy Hair cans. The design changes and this year’s edition comes in a pretty “Ombré” look. A portion of the proceeds from the sales of these cans go to Look Good Feel Better. Or check out www.sexyhaircutathon.com for the nearest salon participating in the 2nd Annual Caring is Sexy Cut-A-Thon on October 22nd. A portion of the day’s proceeds from participating locations will be donated to Look Good Feel Better. Last year, more than $115,000 was raised in a single day!
Life is precious; and unfortunately, some realized and learned the hard way - but also, have been given a second chance. I thank God for these experiences that really require me to take a second look, to value and appreciate my own life. I am blessed to have been able to join the walk-a-thon this year, and I can only hope to continue this tradition every year.
A SPECIAL thanks to all of my dear, dear friends at Sexy Hair. YOU ROCK! After all, Caring is most definitely Sexy!
Sexy Hair Blog
Summer Hair Care Tips
OMG! How much hotter is it going to get? Sunshine on your shoulders may make you happy but can cause a lot of pain and suffering if sunburnt and not protected from the harmful UV rays. We have learned that using sunscreens and moisturizers are vital to maintain skin health and appearance, but we often forget about that delicate balance when it comes to our hair. Did you know that your hair is made up of the same stuff as the surface (epidermis) of your skin? Keratin and Melanin. Yes, your hair can get “sunburnt” as well and we need to take the necessary precautions to protect it. Of course, for ultimate protection, “wear a hat, and if swimming in a chlorinated pool, wear a swim cap”. Let’s be real though, a swim cap? For most of us - no way!!! That synchronized swim team look just isn’t gonna cut it.
Here’s a quick hair science lesson. Let’s look at the hair in a sponge-like way. When the hair is dry, its ability to absorb moisture is at its maximum and will readily absorb anything that is put on it including the PH of tap water and even worse, the PH of a pool. PH is measured on a scale of 0-14 with 7 being a neutral solution. The hair and skin’s natural PH is 4.5 to 5.5 and the PH of an average pool is about 7.5 to 8. Each step on the scale is a tenfold increase in alkalinity or in acidity. This means that pool water will swell and soften the hair immediately because it has over 100 times more alkaline than the skin. Blondes should especially take precautionary measures before swimming to prevent the greenish “mossy” coloration caused from the chlorine chemicals. So, with that being said, and taking in mind the sponge concept, let’s be proactive when it comes to saving the integrity of those beautiful locks.
For some great summer hair care tips, I thought I would shout out to some of our Sexy stylists who work in salons across the nation and see what tips they share with their clients to insure summertime protection, style and condition.
1. If frizz is your worst enemy in the summer time Big Sexy Hair Weather Proof will be an absolute game changer in your style. One quick step after your hairspray and you're putting a barrier between your hair and that awful humidity. -Katrina Cahill, Shag Hair Salon, McKees Rocks, PA
2. Give the flat iron a break during the humid summer months and save your ends the wear and tear of styling abuse by using Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Beach Spray to scrunch your curls. After rinsing thoroughly or a light shampoo and conditioning out of the pool, try this beach spray to create a unique texture that allows multiple results depending on amount used. - Jesseca Turner, Cool J’s Salon, Wilmington, OH
3. Spray Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Tri-Wheat Leave-In Conditioner on your skin to keep it hydrated before and after the sun, and it neutralizes the outdoor essence as well as protects. - Amy Robinson, Absolutely You Salon, Tipton, IN
4. Always wet the hair thoroughly and spray in Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Tri-Wheat Leave-In Conditioner before getting into the pool, otherwise, dry hair will work like a sponge to the chlorine and copper sulfate which is added to the pool. Use liberally throughout the day as you enter and exit the pool to keep the sun damage to a minimum! - Rod Sickler, Rod Sickler Salon and Spa, Champaign, IL
5. Being that I have naturally curly hair, Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Renewal is a great add on to define my curls right when I get out of the water after rinsing or lightly shampooing and conditioning. This also helps to protect the hair just in case I want to take another dip. - Missy Croquart, Bella Donna Salon and Spa, Davenport, IA
6. Don’t over stretch hair by brushing or combing when wet, but use a wide tooth pick or comb to release all those tangles! Remember, always start combing the tangles out starting from the ends and work towards the scalp. Therefore, you are combing tangled hair towards tangle free hair. - Kelly Stevenson, Alexander Grace Hair Design, Bentonville, AR
7. To help protect our hair from the damaging effects of the sun, wind, and water conditions I like to prescribe a summer survival kit: Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Reinvent Shampoo and Conditioner, Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Tri-Wheat Leave-In Conditioner, Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Renewal. The combination of these products helps to keep our hair in Healthy Sexy shape year round and not just for summer. - Krista Volker, Salon Flo, Shillington, PA
8. When the hair is damp before styling I always turn to our tried and true Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Renewal with argan oil. I cocktail this with Style Sexy Hair Hard Up and Big Sexy Hair Volumizing Blow Dry Gel. The soy renewal will add extra protection and speed up your drying time. Blow dry gel creates the volume I need, and the hard up helps maintain the shape while protecting the humidity from destroying the style you create. - Tammy Counterman, The Finishing Touch Beauty Salon, Angola, IN
9. To keep your bright hair color looking fresh for the summer, apply Healthy Sexy Hair Reinvent Color Care Topcoat on dry hair from roots to ends before taking a dip in the pool. It will act as a barrier against chlorine and prevent it from fading as quickly. Topcoat also uses açai extracts to protect it from UV rays and environmental stress. - Marc Mapile, Dej Salon, Sherman Oaks, CA
10. Style Sexy Hair Slept In texturizing crème is a summer must have. This styling product has conditioning properties that not only moisturize but also act as a protective barrier against environmental stress. The conditioning formulation keeps hair soft and healthy. - Jenifer Mikel, Salon Illustrious, Walnut Creek, CA
11. For dry hair and skin “on the go”, replenish both with Silky Sexy Hair Frizz Eliminator! The proteins feed hair, give strength and elasticity and combat frizz while giving hair and skin a healthy glow. - Kelly McCool, Kelly McCool Salon Spa and Electrolysis, Scranton, PA
Thank you, Sexy Stylists for all the great advice!
There ya’ go! Try some of these great suggestions and see the difference they will make in the performance and feel of your locks. You can find where to purchase Sexy Hair products by using our locator on this website. I wish you all a healthy, happy and fun filled summer. Oh! … and by the way…. that swim cap thingy….. forget about it!